Ah, the bandanna. There's always one in my bike bag and quite often another tide around the Iron Giant's headset. This piece of bike gear is indispensable and inexpensive. Plus, I've found them fun to collect.
The many ways I've used a square piece of cloth makes this a must-have for my bike rides.
- Battling a runny nose.
- Keeping sweat out of my eyes.
- Holding ice to sooth a nasty bug bite or sting.
- Serving as a tablecloth at snack time. (A personal favorite)
- Marking my parked bike making it easy to spot.
- Hiding helmet hair.
- Creating a makeshift hat, ear muff, or face mask.
- Soaking one in water and tying around my neck to keep cool.
- Wildly waving away bugs when stopping trailside.
- Gathering fruit picked along the trail.
- Securing stuff to the rear rack rack.
- Protecting my neck from the sun.
- “Locking” my bike after forgetting the bike lock.
- Cleaning gunk on my bike, face or hands.
My favorite place for finding fun and eye-catching bandannas is, Jax Mercantile, up in Ames. The craft sections of Hobby Lobby, and Wal-Mart are also a reliable options.
Consider adding this bit of "non bike gear" to your arsenal. It never fails to come in handy!