Where to Ride
Trail: Summit County Recreational Pathway System
Terrain: Rolling hills
- This 55 mile recreational path connects the towns of Brekenridge, Dillon, Frisco, Silverthorn and Vail. The segment from Frisco to Dillon is 13 miles out and back. Beginning at the marina in Frisco the trail winds it’s way through wetland areas, a campground, and then crosses the dam at Dillon Reservoir.
- The morning’s agenda was to ride from Frisco to Dillon. The past few days had been chilly and raining, so the plan was to get in as much fun as possible before the storm clouds showed up again.
- My first stop was at Rebel Sports where I rented a bike for cruising the trail. The bike was in normal condition for a rental. During my ride I had to make a stop to tighten the seat and later, to fix a slipped chain.
- This ride was nothing short of spectacular. The views of the lake and the mountains were amazing. Mountain wildflowers, wildlife, and Aspens flanking the trail helped make this ride one I will never forget.
- As I arrived back in Frisco the rains came. I returned my bike and headed across the street to the bookstore for a warming cup of tea and to contemplate my fortune in being able to experience a bike ride of a lifetime.
Where to Go
This family owned ski/bike shop has been in business for 20+ years. They offer a wide range of bikes available to rent at reasonable prices. Each year new bicycles are added to their fleet. Rebel Sports has a variety of cycling accessories for those who may have left home without a necessary piece of gear.
Hike to Rainbow Lake
A popular trail of the locals this hiking trail is perfect for a 2 mile family hike. A boardwalk takes hikers through a wetland. Beautiful stands of towering Aspen trees cause you to stop and stare. The beaver pond, Rainbow Lake, is a great destination for a picnic or to just relax and take in the mountain scenery.
Next Page Bookstore
Books, tea, cozy places to relax and a friendly bookstore dog all made this the perfect place to rest after riding or hiking the trails. Next Page Bookstore has a wide variety of loose leaf tea to choose from. Enjoy a cup along one of their picture windows, watch the passersby, and soak in the Frisco atmosphere.